4.3.11

countdown commenced.

So, I am off to Africa! Senegal to be exact. If you are reading this, chances are that you are well aware of my decision to join the Peace Corps, since I've talked of little else for oh, six months or so. A little nitty-gritty for those who don't yet have the facts: I'll be in Senegal, which is on the western coast of Africa, for 27 months. From everything I've read and heard about Senegal, it seems like an absolutely lovely country, and I am thrilled to be heading there. I had actually applied to a study abroad program in Senegal back at GW and ended up in Ghana instead because of some silly error with my application - Ghana turned out to be just what I needed at the time, so I've decided that this twist of fate is the universe telling me that Senegal is where I'm meant to be right now. I will be an Environmental Health Extension Agent, which basically deals with the intersection between environmental sustainability and responsible health practices. I'll be training for a few months, after which I will be sworn into the Peace Corps, and placed in a village in Senegal. I would love to try and explain to you all what exactly I will be doing, but I think it's best to just let things unfold and see what happens - i.e. I'm not even sure yet hah!

I only have a few days left until I leave, so I am currently a ball of anxiety, excitement, nerves, and of course I am still trying to figure out how on earth to pack for two years. That all being said, I CAN NOT WAIT to begin this new adventure. I have been looking forward to this for so long that it became some far away notion, and to have it actually be my reality is rather mind-blowing. I promise to do my very best to keep you all updated on my escapades abroad! 

Five days left 'til Dakar! Eek!

6 comments:

  1. Bon Chance..Aimee..I wish you the best..have a safe journey and enjoy the adventure..with love, Uncle Butch..P.S...we will try to figure out Skpe for your birhthday..))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee!!! I can't believe it's almost here! Take a deep breath and dive in! You are doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing. I'm so happy for you. I'll be following you and looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Be well, take good care of yourself, and grab this!! Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee..Love you and we will miss you..remember what I said..everything happens for a reason..Always go with (Old) Mema's words... if it is God's will..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee, Just saw you off on the first leg of this journey. I just know it is going to be a wonderful and amazing time for you!! Enjoy it all and be happy, safe and healthy!! I can't wait to read of your experiences...and remember the lessons from your first trip to Africa...no petting the crocodiles!!!!
    Love you,
    Mom
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. talking about it for 6 months? more like 6 years muahhh love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aimee, Great St. Patricks Day in NYC with Aunt Maureen and Uncle Bobby. Sabrina had her baby shower. Mema doing great, we are all ready for spring!! after all the snow this winter. Hope your having fun! Love Aunt Margaret

    ReplyDelete