15.5.11

almost there...

Hey hey!

I know I have been a lil neglectful of the blog for the past few weeks, so I am going to attempt to update you all on what I've been up to here in Senegal. 

About three weeks ago I went on my "demyst," which is a week long stay with the volunteer who will be my closest neighbor. It was really awesome to check out village life, and see what her job is actually like. Anddd I had to pull water from a well for the first time. It was super difficult and I still have the blisters to prove it haha. 



We were also able to stop by my village briefly, where I was renamed Diama Ndaiye (pronounced Jemma N-Jai, rhymes with I). My father, who by the way is the chief of the village, informed us that he wanted to keep his sheep in my backyard...so that had to be fixed haha. We also had a workshop here at the center for all of our counterparts, who are the people in our villages who will be working with us for the next two years. It was alot of work because everything had to be done in the local language, but it was a really great opportunity to meet and spend time with my counterparts. 

This past week was our last week in our training villages, so I had to say goodbye to my lovely family there. I had a great time there with them, and I am really going to miss them! They were so welcoming and so great when it came to having patience with my language skills. I took a million pictures with them my last afternoon there, which, inshallah, will some day get uploaded, but I will add a few here so you can see how awesome they are. 
These are a couple of the kids in my family - the little mischievous one in the middle is named Jaxat (pronounced Jahat) and she is by far my favorite thing in the worldddd! She is so cute and such a little troublemaker - quick shout out, she reminds me for some reason of my cousin Meg when she was little, not sure if it's the look of her or her crazy rambunctious attitude, or both, but that is also probably why I love her so much haha. I also took far too many pictures of her :)




Swear In is Friday the 13th - so I guess we are the luckiest stage? Almost a PCV!

No comments:

Post a Comment