22.9.11

kor(EAT)ite

This is rather overdue - pardon my inattention.

So, KORITE. Or, should I say kor(EAT)ite. It's a big celebration to celebrate the end of Ramadan. The name 'Korite' is unique to West Africa, in most of the world it is referred to as Eid ul-Fitr, and marks the end of the fast during Ramadan. To begin the festivities, the entire village dressed up in their finest and voyages out to the fields for the religious ceremony (this is a traditional practice, holding the ceremony in a field). Part of the religious aspect is to ask for Allah's forgiveness, and afterwards the entire village walked around to each others compounds to do the same. In Serere, the phrase that they use is 'wasanam' and the response is 'wasanxong' (the x is pronounced as an H), and this roughly translates to 'excuse me' and 'I excuse you.' It made for a very festive atmosphere that morning, with everyone walking around, little bands of children roaming the village. Everyone was jovial and in good spirits, and they all let out a raucous laugh when I was able to respond to them with the right phrase. Below is a quick pic of one of my favorite little sisters, my best friend in village really. Her name is Ngenya (pronounce it however you wish, I'm still figuring it out!) She followed me around with my camera all day - we had a blast.


The rest of the day was spent cooking up some deliciousness. I tried to help, but could only last until the onions came out, then the tears started pouring out! In the afternoon we had a lil block party, which was surprising totally awesome! All the women from my block came over to my house, and we chowed down on some greasy macaroni, with onion sauce and mystery meat, which we eat with bread. I should have taken a picture because I feel like this description falls woefully shot, so I promise to start photographing my food. All the women sat around chatting and dancing, having and all around good time. We then made a loop of the block, repeating the party at each compound. It was a great time, I love seeing the women all excited and dancing about. If there is one thing that Sereres know how to do, its party! I chose to forgo the greasy pasta at each house, as one serving is more than enough for me, but it gave me plenty of opportunities to get some good pics.


Dancin' all day along. 


Making our way through the village.


My counterpart and one of my brother's wives gettin' down.


This is, no lie, a 100+ year old women shakin' her butt. 


My 60-something year old mom busting a move. I'd never seen her dance before!

In case you can't tell from the pictures, Sereres like to dance - it makes for a good time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment