14.11.11

tabaski in five

Tabaski is the most celebrated holiday here in Senegal. It's a cross between Thanksgiving (the main event is an enormous meal, shared with family and friends), Halloween (children go compound to compound "trick-or-treating" for small change), and Christmas (lots of new clothes are exchanged, with more outfit changes than the Oscars). And in true Senegalese fashion they go all night long! For a slightly more informative description of Tabaski, check out Wikipedia :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha

1. I watched three sheep get beheaded. My dad who killed the first one wore his fancy Tabaski whites. Ballsy.

2. Even Senegalese women, masters at the art of cooking, cry when chopping onions. Especially three kilos of onions. But I still cried more.

3. Ate the sheep's liver. And some other indistinguishable parts that I'm sure I've never even seen before. And a week later, we are still eating those three sheep.

4. The amount of vegetable oil and pure MSG that I consumed is astounding. And continued all week long.

5. The fact that I thought it all tasted delicious again for breakfast the next morning is even more astounding.

Pics of the festivities will follow I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment